- It can get a bit confusing with all of the different terms for mental health.
- People often say “mental health” to mean mental health disorders like depression and anxiety.
- However, The World Health Organisation’s definition of “mental health” is actually the opposite – it focuses on a person’s sense of wellbeing, coping with normal life stresses, being productive and contributing to their community.
- I like to use the term mental wellbeing, to focus on living life well.
- And just like physical wellbeing, everyone has mental wellbeing and can do things to look after themselves. In fact, for me, mental wellbeing is as important as physical wellbeing. Interestingly, many of the things we do to keep physically well, like eating healthily, exercising, and sleeping well, can also help us to keep mentally well.
What is mental health or a mental health episode?